Wednesday 4 February 2009

Today, I am mostly feeling...

'"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"'

(Extract from 'The New Colossus' by Emma Lazarus, poem engraved inside the Statue of Liberty)
I found out today that there is a blog called Friends of Freer (does what it says on the tin). It aims to counteract "the cynical, the twisted, the unfair, the miserable" of Barnet who dare to bring to book, call to account, and generally ask the odd question of Mike Freer, leader of Barnet council.

It struck me that I sometimes fall into one of these categories (cynical, twisted, unfair, miserable), and, on bad days, all four at once. Today, after tearing into Waitrose doing a Wenceslas, I must mostly be feeling... miserable.

No comments: