Sunday 18 April 2010

Evo Morales - Ritchie Valens - Eddie Cochran! Aaah...

Evo Morales, Bolivia's president, dismayed at the outcome of the Copenhagen Climate Summit last December, has called a "World People's Conference on Climate Change and the Rights of Mother Earth" (something like that). It takes place in Cochabamba, Bolivia this coming week. I'm not a huge fan of Morales (it's complicated), but it's going to be an interesting event, no doubt about that!

Cochabamba, Cochabamba. Puts me in mind of "La Bamba", sung by Ritchie Valens (died, aged 17, in a plane crash alongside Buddy Holly and "Big Bopper" Jiles Richardson on 3 February 1959 - the day the music died). I go to YouTube and listen to the song. It puts me in mind of Eddie Cochran, a friend of Valens.

I'm a fan of Eddie Cochran. I go to Wikipedia to remind myself how he died - aged 21, 50 years ago yesterday, in a car crash in Wiltshire. C'mon everybody.

No comments: