Friday 10 September 2010

Connaught workers sacked by conference call

Sent this morning from John Burgess, Barnet Unison secretary:
I have to report some shocking news. At 6pm last night former council workers TUPE’d first to Barnet Homes then TUPE’d to Connaught were sacked. How were they given this shocking and distressful news?

They were sacked by conference call!

That’s right. In all my time I don’t think I have heard anything so cowardly but I should not be surprised. Fremantle was a nightmare for our members but this is truly awful.

Members are still reeling from the news and we are trying to find out what can be done. In the interim we will be meeting with our members to see what support we can offer our members and their families.

I am asking for messages of support to be sent to me at john.burgess@barnetunison.org.uk

Whilst we look at some of the options I would ask Barnet Unison members to make sure they alert colleagues to what has happened and make sure you have made arrangements to come along to the lobby of the council meeting at Hendon Town Hall on Tuesday 14 September (6-7pm). We will have our Connaught members alongside us and it would be great if they could have your support.
UPDATE: I've searched the national news and found out that construction group Morgan Sindall have taken over most of the Connaught contracts, and are retaining 2,500 of the 4,400 staff. Does that mean they have decided the rest are surplus to requirements? BBC Liverpool reports a similar story to Barnet, so we can assume this is happening the length and breadth of the country.

No comments: